D.B.M.S. Career Academy offers Open Schooling and Open University courses to its students. It is a centre for the following:
- National Institute of Open Schooling
- Karnataka State Open University
- Directorate of Distance Education of the Madurai Kamaraj University
Quick Facts / Managing Committee
|Open School Board||National Institute of Open Schooling|
|Open University I||Karnataka State Open University|
|Open University II||Madurai Kamaraj University|
|Principal||Mrs. Meera Horo|
|Vice-Principal||Mr. T. N. Singh|
|Vice-Chairperson||Mrs. Sudha Swamy|
|Secretary||Mrs. Priya Dharmarajan|
|Jt. Secretary||Mrs. Archana Ramesh|
Contact D.B.M.S. Career Academy.
The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) is an autonomous organization that was established by the Government of India in November 1989. NIOS follows a student-centered method of teaching through Open and Distance mode. It offers a wide range of subjects in comparison to any other formal school. The learners are free to choose subject combination based on their needs. The students study at their own pace from specially designed self-instructional materials. This learning is supplemented by audio-video and face to face contact classes which are held at the study centers on holidays and weekends. The students have freedom to appear in examination in their subjects one by one as per their preparation. The registration is valid for five years.
NIOS operates through a network of five Departments, eleven Regional Centres and 2945 Accredited Institutions (Study Centres) in India and abroad, of which D.B.M.S. Career Academy is one. It has a current enrolment of about 1.5 million students at Secondary and Senior Secondary levels which makes it the largest open schooling system in the world.
Courses offered by NIOS
- Open Basic Education Programme, Which includes OBE A, B, and C levels
- Secondary Course-Equivalent to class X
- Secondary Course-Equivalent to class XII Sr.
- Vocational Education Courses
- Life Enrichment Programmes
Subjects offered at Secondary Level
Mathematics, Science and Technology, Social Science, Economics, Business Studies, Home Science, Word Processing (English), Psychology and Bharatiya Culture & Heritage.
Subjects offered at Senior Secondary Level
Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography, Political Science , Economics, Business Studies, Accountancy , Home Science, Word Processing (English), Psychology, Computer Science, Sociology and Painting.
Open Vocational Education
In order to make the NIOS courses more meaningful, vocational courses are offered independently or in combination with academic subjects at the secondary and senior secondary levels.
The Karnataka State Open University, Mysore is a pioneer in the sphere of distance education in India. For an institution whose very building blocks are Openness and Universality, nothing more Open and more Universal could have happened than this worldwide website. Karnataka State Open University is a recognised University of Distance Education Council (DEC), New Delhi, regular member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), Delhi, permanent member of Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), London, UK, Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), Beijing, China, and also has association with Commonwealth of Learning (COL).
The Open-Distance-Learning (ODL) system is a unique and challenging mode of education offered at the University level. This system provides ample opportunities for those who desire to have University education at their place of work or residence. This method is popularly known as Distance Education. It is perhaps the only way to meet the ever-increasing demand for Higher Education especially in a developing country like India. Distance Education programmes are specially designed for:
- Candidates who discontinue their formal education owing to pecuniary or other circumstances
- Candidates residing in geographically remote areas
- Candidates who cannot get admission to a regular college / Post-graduate department
- Employed persons who cannot pursue their study as full-time candidates
- Individuals who wish to pursue learning for knowledge sake
- Candidates who wish to update knowledge and skills
The Open-Distance-Learning (ODL) system is perhaps the only system that has been planned in such a way that it is able to cater to all those who desire to seek Higher Education in spite of the fact that they are in a disadvantageous position due to social, economic, spatial and such other reasons. Also to cater to the increasing demand for Higher Education, flexibilities in terms of age, qualification, location, time, etc., have been introduced to the maximum extent.
The Karnataka State Open University came into being to achieve the following objectives:
- Democratising Higher Education by taking it to the doorsteps of the learners.
- Providing access to high quality education to all those who seek it, irrespective of age, region or formal qualifications.
- Offering need-based academic Programmes by giving professional and vocational orientation to the programme.
- Promoting and developing distance education in India.
- Relaxed entry regulations.
- Providing opportunities to study according to one’s own pace and convenience.
- Flexibility in choosing the combination of courses from a wide range of disciplines.
- Providing opportunity to study from one’s own chosen place and pace.
- Degree Programs
- Diploma Programs
- Certificate Programs
- IGNOU Adopted Programs
- Programs Offered in Collaboration with Partner Institutions
- Bachelors: B.A./B.Com, B.Li.Sc., B.Ed
- Masters: M.Ed M.A./M.Com, M.LI.Sc., M.B.A., M.Phil.
D.B.M.S. Career Academy is a centre of the Directorate of Distance Education of the Madurai Kamaraj University. Students in Jamshedpur can enroll here for a range of Bachelor’s, Master’s degrees and even diplomas from this university recognized and funded by University Grants Commission. In addition to the regular Arts, Science and Commerce courses at both Bachelors and Masters levels, there are options in Information Technology and M.B.A. available to students.
Madurai Kamaraj University is a Statutory University, established in 1966 by Govt. of Tamilnadu. It has been reaccredited by NAAC with grade A. The Directorate of Distance Education of this university was established in 1971 and has a student strength of about 1.20 lakhs. There are 34 Spot Admission Centres and 77 Study Centres outside Tamilnadu across the country and 12 Study Centres outside the country. The degrees awarded by it are recognized by the U.C.C. Recently this University was accorded the status of "University with Potential for Excellence" - A status conferred by University Grants Commission so far on 9 such Universities in the Country.
Objectives of DDE
- To make higher education reach the unreached
- To provide life time continuing education
- To provide career development facility to the working people including teachers and officials
- To provide educational opportunity to those who have no basic educational qualification
- To provide education to the mass at a comparatively lower cost
- To open the doors of education to the drop-outs and the ones who are denied admission in formal educational system.
- To spread the beam of wisdom right from Jawans to Jail prisoners.
Special Features of DDE
- Admissions made twice a year - Academic and Calendar Year streams
- Practical Training imparted at Professional Institutions for Computer Courses, M.Sc., (Physics & Chemistry) and Tourism and Hospitality Courses
- Those who have discontinued their studies under semester or non-semester in any university may continue with year exemption.
- Those who want to study an additional degree may also do so.
- Students who are diploma (3 Years) holders through Polytechnics may also join in the degree courses.
- Tuition Fee exemption for blind, deaf and dumb.